Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Breck Chapman, 02/2004
William H. Welch House
Inventory No.: B-3735
Date Listed: 1/7/1976
Location: 935 Saint Paul Street, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1891-1908
NHL Date: 1/7/1976
Description: The William H. Welch House is a three-story brick row house. The date of its construction and its builder are unknown. Although the house is a good example of a Baltimore row house, it does not appear to be of any major architectural importance in itself. The house is characterized by a flat front, a cornice with scrolled bracketing, and a double door entrance with pediment. The interior has been divided into seven small apartments. A first-floor small balcony with railing may have been added after the Welch period. The exterior integrity of 935 St. Paul Street is whole and the building is well maintained. Significance: William H. Welch lived at 935 St. Paul Street from approximately 1891 to 1908. Born in New England and a graduate of Yale, Welch studied medicine in Europe before joining the faculty of Johns Hopkins University. William H. Welch served as professor of pathology at Johns Hopkins from 1884 to 1916 and as pathologist to the Johns Hopkins Hospital from 1889 to 1916. When in 1918 the university established the famous Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Welch became its first director. He served in this capacity until his retirement in 1926. Retirement did not mean the end of Welch's interest in medicine. In 1926 the General Education Board endowed a chair of the history of medicine at Johns Hopkins, and Welch was appointed its first occupant. From 1926 to 1931, when he retired for a second time, Welch devoted his energies to developing the William H. Welch Medical Library that housed the department of the history of medicine. After retiring in 1931, he continued to work with the library's collections until he was hospitalized with a terminal illness in 1933. He died in the Johns Hopkins hospital on April 30, 1934. Welch is remembered for his work in pathology and bacteriology, and for his contributions to the organization and institutionalization of medical research and education. Welch, a lifelong bachelor, occupied the second floor of the house at 935 St. Paul. The house is significant only for his occupancy.

 

Return to the National Register Search page