Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: C. Engstrom, 08/1977
Shepherd's Delight
Inventory No.: K-111
Date Listed: 6/17/1976
Location: 11818 Still Pond Road (MD 292) , Hepbron, Kent County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1767-1783, 1810
Description: The house at Shepherd's Delight, although it is all the same height, is composed of a four bay long, 1 1/2-story main section with porches both front and back, and a four bay long, 2 1/2-story kitchen wing, which originally was 1 1/2 stories. The north facade of the latter also possesses a porch in line with the main portion, but it lacks the floor, balustrade, and detail of the former. On the north facade of the principal portion the windows have 12/8 sash and louvered shutters. Only the principal portion has beaded weatherboard siding. The doorway is located at the second bay from the east and the two center panels of the original six panel door have been replaced with glass to provide light to the stair hall. The porches have wooden floors, chamfered posts, round handrail, rectangular balusters and a wood ceiling. On the roof are three 6/6 sash gabled dormers. A cellar entrance is located on the west gable adjacent to the exposed brick chimney behind the first floor. Flanking the interior chimney on the second story are windows with 6/6 sash of approximately the same size as the dormers. At the east side of the south facade, a shed-roofed addition was built extending from the back door to the east end. It has a single window on the south and one on the west opening onto the porch. The porch is identical to the front porch. This portion of the building, in poor structural condition, has 6/6 pane sash and original beaded weatherboard. In the northeast corner of the addition is a tall brick chimney. The two outer dormers on the roof have been doubled in size. Outbuildings include two barns, consisting of a framed granary covered partly with wide shiplap and partly with newer weatherboard, and a brick stable with modern sheds attached. There is also a machine shed. Significance: During the 17th century, much of the land in Tidewater Maryland was patented in huge tracts to the first settlers. The acreage of these often being more than one family could farm, they were divided into smaller tracts during the 18th century. On these parcels, the colonial planters built their homes, usually dwellings of frame or brick with one or two rooms, often enlarged at a later time. Shepherd's Delight is one such planter's house. Built c. 1767 to 1783, it was added to during this period and again c. 1810. Like the majority of dwellings on the 1783 and 1798 tax assessments, it is a frame structure. Most of these houses have disappeared today, making Shepherd's Delight a rare survival of a once common house type. Also unusual is the survival of the 18th century outbuildings, including a barn, smokehouse, and dairy.


Return to the National Register Search page