Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Paul Baker Touart, 04/1999
Spring Hill Church
Inventory No.: WI-6
Other Name(s): St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Date Listed: 10/22/1976
Location: 8700 Memory Gardens Lane, Hebron, Wicomico County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1773
Description: The one-story Spring Hill Church strongly resembles Green Hill Church, located eight miles south on the Wicomico River. Spring Hill is a white frame structure two bays wide and four deep and is set on a brick foundation laid in Flemish bond with glazed headers. The west end has two double doors, restored in 1972. Each door has four panels and large strap hinges. Above the doors in the gable are two, 12/12 sash windows with batten shutters. Between these windows is a sign which reads "St. Paul's Episcopal Church 1773." The east end has one segmental arch window, 20/20 light with batten shutters, in each bay. Between these two windows is a small projecting pavilion with a door in the center and a segmental arch window, 12/12 sash, on the north and south sides. The slope of the gable roof echoes that of the church itself. Both the north and south sides have four segmental arch windows, 20/20 sash, with batten shutters. A wood, cove cornice extends along the roof on both sides. The interior woodwork is unpainted cedar. There is a barrel-vault ceiling and three large beams, with beaded edges, one in each gable end. In the center of the north and south sides there is evidence that a narrow chimney stack has been removed. There are two aisles with pews through the center and along both side walls. The closed box pews are paneled. The side pews have benches on three sides of the boxes while the center pews have benches on only one side. There are plain rectangular frames around the segmental arch windows. In the southwest corner a winding stairway rises to the gallery which extends across the west end of the church. The gallery is supported in the center by a square, fluted column with a plain pedestal and entablature. The pews in the gallery are rather crude compared with those on the main floor. They have benches along two sides, perpendicular to the gallery rail. Significance: The oldest frame church to survive in Wicomico County, and one of a handful of pre-Revolutionary War structures, Spring Hill Church (also known as Old Spring Hill and St. Paul's Episcopal Church) is an architecturally significant building because it exhibits many of the structural features which were typical of Maryland's 18th century country churches and because its interior woodwork is original. The walls of the early country churches were often timber-framed, with an overlay of weatherboarding. Floor plans were usually rectangular, and the overall exterior appearance was barn-like. The interior space on either side of the main aisle (or aisles) was divided into box stalls, with a pulpit to one side. The barrel vault type of ceiling was popular, and interiors were painted white or left unpainted, as was done at Spring Hill. Spring Hill Church burned on July 22, 2014.


Return to the National Register Search page