Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Ronald L. Andrews, 05/1974
Flintstone Hotel
Inventory No.: AL-II-A-001
Other Name(s): Piper Hotel
Date Listed: 12/22/1976
Location: Main Street (MD 144) , Flintstone, Allegany County
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1807
Related Multiple Property Record: Inns on the National Road
Description: The Flintstone Hotel is a large 2 1/2-story classically influenced brick structure of early- to mid-19th century date with wings attached to the east and north sides. Facing south, the main portion has five bays across the principal facade with a central entrance with four-light transom. It has a wooden cornice and beaded bargeboards on the west end wall. The windows in the main facade are double hung wooden sashes with Victorian 2/2 lights and louvered shutters that appear to be original. A large one-story porch with wooden turned columns stretches across the south facade. The original main block had a flush chimney at each gable end; the east chimney is now enclosed by a 2 1/2-story wing. Three pedimented dormers span the south roof slope. The central dormer is wider with a pair of 6/6 sash windows, while the end dormers hold one 6/6 sash window each. The dormers and porch probably date from about 1900 when the east wing was raised. The east wing, greatly altered c. 1900, has approximately three bays along the street and flush double chimneys in the four-bay-wide east end. It sits flush with the height of the main portion. Originally 2 1/2 stories but lower in height than the main portion, the wing was raised to the roofline of the main block with a frame addition. Windows of 2/2 sash pierce the south and second-from-north bay of the east facade on the second floors. The attic level holds four narrow windows. The north wing projects to the rear from the west side of the main block and terminates with a shed-roofed addition at the north gable end, beyond the flush chimney. It has a porch and balcony with a diagonal pattern balustrade across the east end. In spite of the major alterations, the Flintstone Hotel retains much of its original fabric. Significance: The Flintstone Hotel, also called the Piper Hotel, is said to have been built c. 1807 for John Davis, a large landowner. Probably erected as a private residence, it was serving as an inn by 1850 for both travelers on the road and visitors to the area's mineral springs. A seven room addition, including a tavern room, was built on the east when the house was converted to a hotel. Well-known visitors to the hotel are thought to include the Marquis de Lafayette (1824), Henry Clay, and Theodore Roosevelt. The Flintstone is one of the largest and most formidable structures of its period in the county, particularly if the c. 1807 date is accurate. There were once dozens of inns and taverns along the National Road and the Baltimore Pike. Today, with the greatly lessened travel along these roads, few of these remain. The Flintstone Hotel is one of eleven Maryland Inns on the National Road which have been listed on the National Register. These eleven buildings in Allegany and Garrett Counties, many of them still serving their original function, stand as the physical remains of the almost legendary hospitality offered on this well-traveled route to the west.


Return to the National Register Search page