Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
Sherwood Manor
Inventory No.: T-244
Other Name(s): Sherwood's Neck, Sherwood
Date Listed: 4/5/1977
Location: Old Claiborne Road , Claiborne, Talbot County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1776-1783
Description: Sherwood is a post-revolutionary brick structure located on a small point of land in Hemmersley Creek, overlooking the Creek on three sides and the Miles River in the distance. In many respects, it is typical of five bay, two story brick structures constructed throughout the Eastern Shore in the latter half of the 18th century. Unlike most of that size, however, it has an unusual pair of inset panels, the size of windows, on both stories of the west gable end, forecasting an architectural element which would become frequent in the latter Federal period (e.g., Holly Hall, Cecil County). The walls of the south facade and west gable are laid in Flemish bond above a cove-molded watertable and English bond below. There is a uniformity in brick color and jointing not found in the common bond of the north facade. Basement windows have segmental arches and vertical-bar grills. All of the windows throughout the house retain original walnut frames, 12/12 sash on the first story and 8/12 on the second story. Bold wrought iron shutter dogs are intact on the first story and cast iron above, indicating the existence of original shutters on the first story only. Walnut was also used for the construction of the original shutters. Unlike the cellar windows, those above the watertable have a 12-inch deep jack arch. Between the first and second stories is a four-brick wide belt course. The original box cornice is still in place with both upper and lower moldings. Two chimneys rise within the gables above a moderately pitched gable roof. On each gable, two four-pane casements light the attic rooms. The north facade of the building has asymmetrical fenestration. West of the center door are two windows on each story, that closest to the center on the second story being a later intrusion, and on the east side of the door is a single window on each story. The original arrangement is identical to Rich Hill, Kent County, with the exception that there is a small window at both landings, Rich Hill having only one at the first landing. Significance: Sherwood Manor House is located on Hemmersly's Creek on the Miles River, and lies between St. Michaels and Claiborne in Talbot County, Maryland. From 1713 to the present, the property has had at least nineteen owners, the most illustrious being Matthew Tilghman, a patriarch of Maryland. Sherwood, typical of the five-bay, two-story brick houses built during the second half of the 18th century on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, also exhibits a few individual features. Its floor plan is slightly altered from the standard, and it has an unusual pair of inset panels on both stories of the west gable end.


Return to the National Register Search page