Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
Hull Memorial Christian Church
Inventory No.: BA-1143
Other Name(s): Lansdowne Christian Church
Date Listed: 9/15/1977
Location: 101 Clyde Avenue, Halethorpe, Baltimore County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1903-1904
Architect/Builder: Architect: Lewis Reeser & Sons; (William D. & Burton W. Reeser)
Description: The north fa├žade of this church is made up of two square towers on either side of a two-story, slightly projecting bay. The entrance, in the face of the west tower, has plain wood double doors topped with a pointed arch, three-light transom of frosted, colored glass. The window in the face of the east tower is of the same glass and has two lights topped with the same treatment as the entrance. In the central section are two three-part windows, one above the other. The bottom one is a memorial window similar in design to the other windows in the body of the church; it is situated directly behind the altar. The second window is taller and has a round-arched pane in the center. Commemorative of the Grand Army of the Republic, the central panel has an eagle above a vertically placed American flag above a "bronze" star. The two towers are presently identical, with mansard roofs with small spires with heart-shaped decorations on the corners. There is a cross atop the peak of the gable roof between the towers. Built with white clapboard siding, the church is presently covered with light gray asphalt shingle. The second floor of the central projection has been boxed in and the commemorative window moved forward. A railing that formerly ran between the towers is gone. The west tower had a belfry with pointed roof originally. Weakened by a storm in 1952, it was removed; the bell is now perched on a stone base in front of the church. Significance: The Lansdowne Christian Church was organized on March 1, 1903. The church property and funding was donated by former Union Army soldier, Mr. Charles Wesley Hull. The cornerstone was laid by Howard Lodge #1 of the Masonic Order on November 11, 1903. On February 28, 1904, the basement was completed and was occupied by the Lansdowne Christian Church and Sunday School. The building was completed and dedicated on June 12, 1904. Annual services dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic were held for about 50 years on the second Sunday in May. Between the death of the last veteran in 1956 and 1976, these Memorial services were only held sporadically. A mini-museum dedicated to the Grand Army of the Republic is housed within the church.


Return to the National Register Search page