Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: U.S. Army, Undated Photo
Nallin Farm Springhouse and Bank Barn
Inventory No.: F-3-44
Date Listed: 9/17/1977
Location: Opossumtown Pike , Frederick, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1795
Description: The Nallin Farm Spring House is of fieldstone construction, 15' x 16' x approximately 8’ high walls with a wood-shingled hip roof. The southeast elevation has a wooden door constructed of vertical boards. The northwest and northeast elevations have unglazed openings covered with wooden louvers. It is located approximately 250 feet southwest of the Nallin Farm House (F-3-43) at the head of (and covering the spring which is chief source of ) Fort Detrick's 3 1/2-acre pond. The bank barn is of stone and timber construction, 100' x 34', with earth and wood barn floor, timber loft, and a wood-framed metal-and-shingle roof. It is located approximately 125 feet southeast of the Nallin Farm House. Bank barns are characterized by an earthen ramp leading to the second floor mow. This barn is constructed of random, ashlar stones. Timber framing supports the interior partitions and standing-seam metal roof. The north gable end has vertical wood siding below the eaves; on the south gable end, the stone wall extends to the peak of the roof. The overhanging frame forebay faces east, sheltering the 14-bay lower level. Sliding wood doors open from the mow into the second level. Narrow vertical slits in the stone walls provide ventilation. The southwestern corner of the west facade has an extension beyond the plane of the west wall, which provides additional storage space. The interior framing and partitions remain intact. Significance: The precise age of these structures is not known, but both are typical of such rural outbuildings of the early 1800s, and are architecturally in keeping with the Nallin Farm House, which dates to c. 1835. The Nallin Farm is historically significant for its association with typical agricultural practices in Frederick County, Maryland from c. 1795 to 1943, when it was acquired by the Federal government. The property illustrates the local pattern of German-influenced, diversified agriculture that typified this prosperous farming community. Historically part of the Tasker’s Chance, the property includes three documented periods of construction. The first dates from before 1798, when the bank barn and springhouse were constructed. The principal dwelling, a brick farmhouse, represents the second construction period, c. 1830. During the final construction period, 1928-1937, the dairy barn was built. The house and agricultural buildings embody the distinctive characteristics of regional Piedmont design and construction from their periods of construction. The bank barn and springhouse embody the distinctive methods of stone construction and heavy timber framing of the late 18th century.


Return to the National Register Search page