Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
Perry-Cooper House
Inventory No.: WI-106
Date Listed: 11/17/1977
Location: 200 E. William Street , Salisbury, Wicomico County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1880
Description: The Perry-Cooper House, built c. 1880, is a three-story frame dwelling topped with a French mansard roof. The facade is three bays wide with a central tower, including a bowed entrance on the first floor, a nine-foot-high Palladian window on the second, and a window with broken pediment on the third. On either side of the tower is a large, single 1/1 sash window on the first floor and double 1/1 windows on the second and third floors. There is an original porch spanning the facade. Bowed in the center to match the entrance, it has stairways on either side of the bow descending to a bowed brick walk. It has turned posts with sawn brackets, and was originally surmounted with iron cresting, a section of which has been found under the house. The original porch rail was removed c. 1970 (portions of this have also been found under the house). Original stenciling is found above all windows on the main part of the house, on a bargeboard below the cornice, and on the entablature of the porch. The roof, enclosing the third floor, has two slopes and paired 1/1 sash pedimented dormer windows in the manner characteristic of the French mansard. The upper slope of the roof is covered with sheet metal. The lower, visible slope presently has asphalt shingles which will be replaced with wood shakes in the restoration of the building. The house is of frame with a clapboard covering. The cornice is boxed and decorated with brackets. A smaller dentil cornice is located at the top of the first slope of the roof. Originally T-shaped, the rear wing of the house was removed c. 1915 and replaced with a smaller wing and two porches (both since enclosed). On the interior, the central bay contains an open stairwell, and rises thirty feet to the third floor ceiling. The stairs and balustrade are of oak. There are oak moldings in the halls on all three floors and in the first floor front rooms. Moldings in the remainder of the house are pine and were painted light gray. Both first floor rooms have walnut mantels. These are original, although the brickwork in the fireplaces is not. The one in the west room is a mantel shelf topped with a string of six square, raised panels. The one in the east room is a very plain mantel supported by two simple columns. Significance: The Perry-Cooper House has the only Victorian French mansard roof remaining in the City of Salisbury. It also retains in large measure the architectural details, including a delicate stenciled design, of its exterior. The house was the residence of one of Salisbury's well-known civic leaders, Thomas Perry. An educator, newspaper publisher and editor, financier, industrialist, and official of county government, his family occupied the house from 1897 until 1950.


Return to the National Register Search page