Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Mark R. Edwards, 02/1977
St. Paul's Protestant Episcopal Church
Inventory No.: F-1-130
Date Listed: 1/31/1978
Location: Ballenger Creek Pike , Point of Rocks, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1842
Description: St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is a 2 1/2-story, 3-bay-long church set on a very low, coursed rubble foundation. A small, one-story sacristy is attached to the church at the northeast facade. The principal southwest facade is marked by a pair of matching entrance doors, Flemish-bond brickwork with queen closers and an unusual stepped parapet wall. The tall, 8-paneled doors with 12-light transoms and paneled soffits and jambs are reached by identical 7-step stairs with wrought-iron railings. Each door is surmounted by a splayed jack arch. Original box locks with keys remain in place. Above each door on the second floor is a 6/6 double-hung sash window with a rowlock arch. Above these windows near the peak of the gable is a Palladian window designed to light the interior of the church. The primary 15-light sash and fanlight are flanked by sidelights of 4 lights each. Separating the main sash and sidelights are two pairs of slender, hexagonally shaped engaged colonnettes. The northwest and southeast sides of the church are laid in common bond brick and are pierced by three equally spaced 12/8 double hung sash windows. In the rear facade of the church, two 6/6 double hung sash windows located at the second story level light the interior gallery of the church. The sacristy attached to this wall is centrally placed, and has a gable roof and a large 6/6 double-hung sash window centered in its northeast end. A six-panel door opens into the structure from the southeast. The church is covered with a shallow gable roof made of slate. A flush brick chimney with a corbeled cap rises at the peak of the gable. A simple box cornice encircles all but the front eave of the roof. Each step of the parapet wall is capped by a thin bank of slightly projecting wood covered with modern tin sheathing. Centrally placed between the two entrance doors on the first floor of the interior is a bronze plaque reading: St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Erected 1842, Dedicated 1843 by Bishop W.R. Whittingham. Encircling the church is a sprawling graveyard. Significance: Located at a bend in a busy local road near Point of Rocks, Maryland, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church is an important local landmark. The late-Federal church, its exterior in remarkably intact condition, and retaining its original interior woodwork, is well sited on top of a small hill which commands a magnificent view across the rolling countryside near the Maryland-West Virginia border. With its stark outline and lack of ornate decorative detail, St. Paul’s is unique to the area which is typically served by white frame, Gothic-styled churches.

 

Return to the National Register Search page