Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: John McGrain, 06/1977
Inventory No.: BA-913
Date Listed: 8/14/1978
Location: 4205 Antique Lane, Glen Arm, Baltimore County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1800; 1854-1857; Burned 10/31/1985
Description: Ravenhurst was a 2 1/2-story Carpenter Gothic-style board-and batten house built about 1854-1857. It was a complex composition of gables with simple but heavy vergeboards, finials, pendants, an octagonal tower with a domed roof, and tall chimneys. The exterior of the house was painted yellow. Extending across the entire three-bay facade was a 52-foot one-story porch. The entrance had a transom over three-paneled double doors flanked by sidelights. The second story windows broke through projecting eaves and board and batten siding continued upward over them to form gabled dormers with pointed windows. The central bay and dormer were larger and had double windows. On the northeast gable end was a bay window on the first floor. Throughout, windows were finished with a hood molding. Ravenhurst's T-shaped plan provided a central hall flanked by four rooms on each floor. The principal rooms to the front of the first floor had floor-to-ceiling windows opening onto the porch. In the rear extension were smaller rooms on each side of the stair. The dog-leg stair was not continuous, and ended at a landing on the second floor and then began another run to the third. On each floor was a central hall with a large circular opening in its ceiling so that the interior of the dome could be seen from all levels. A circular stairway led from the third floor to the level of the cupola's windows. Adjoining the northeast corner and fitting into the intersection of the T was an older, two-story tone house of five bays facing in the opposite direction. It was thought to have been built about 1800 and was extensively remodeled on the inside. Part of the exterior was covered with board and batten, but some whitewashed stone remained under the two-story front porch. There was also a third addition connected the stone house to the main block. This two-story board and batten wing extended northeast from the stair at the rear of the main hall in Ravenhurst. It was partially complete as shown in an 1889 lithograph plat of the estate and later extended. There was a triangular first floor bay window added to the northwest by the last owner. There were numerous outbuildings on the grounds. Northeast of the house were an ice house, smokehouse, barn, and corncrib/wagon house. Of importance, only a small wash house, complementing the design of the main house, remained when the property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Ravenhurst burned on October 31, 1985. Significance: Ravenhurst was a mid-19th century, Carpenter Gothic-style house, built about 1854-1857. This large house was an addition to an earlier stone building thought to have been built about 1800. The large board and batten addition was an excellent example of Andrew Jackson Downing's picturesque country house. In addition to being architecturally significant, it was the residence of two important Baltimore County citizens: Major General Isaac Ridgeway Trimble, an engineer, railroad executive, and Confederate officer; and the Hoen family, noted for their printing firm in Baltimore.


Return to the National Register Search page