Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: JP, Undated Photo
Flour Warehouse of Terminal Corporation
Inventory No.: B-3715
Other Name(s): Terminal Warehouse
Date Listed: 11/14/1978
Location: 211 E. Pleasant Street, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1894; 1912
Architect/Builder: Architect: B.B. Owens, 1894, Owens & Sisco, 1912; Builder: S.H. & J.F. Adams, 1894, Noel Construction Co., 1912
Description: The six-story Terminal Warehouse Company has a common bond brick exterior accented by a rusticated brownstone foundation and a perimetrical belt course between the first and second floors. The original, northernmost building, of wood beam construction, was built in 1894. In 1912 a steel beam addition was added to the south. The Pleasant Street (north) façade is five bays wide on the first floor, and six bays wide on the remaining floors. The recessed main entrance to the right of the façade contains double wooden doors flanked by glass and wood side panels. It is enclosed by a blind arch, an individual member of the blind arcade in the first floor of the warehouse. The gauged arch forms a tympanum of three glass panels; the company’s name is printed upon it. To the right there is a large double-hung sash window in a blind arch flanked by two small double-hung windows; sash in all three windows have 1/1 lights distributing light into interior offices. The second floor exterior has been altered. It is now 12 bays wide and includes five modified industrial windows of coupled 6/6 lights. The central panes open out for ventilation. To the left are three windows with 1/1 lights and to the right are four windows of identical construction. Each of the remaining floors has symmetrical windows in the 12/12 style. Metal shutters flank the windows which are capped by brick arches. A wrought iron fire escape heightens the visual plan of the Davis Street (west ) façade, exemplifying the 19th century interplay between art and technology. Three recessed, segmental-arched windows within blind arcades have double-hung sash with 1/1 lights. Six others to the right have sash with 12/12 lights. Below the fire-escape, in the northernmost bay, is a side entrance capped by a tripartite, glass tympanum. Three of the arches open into the loading area. The Guilford Avenue (east) façade, similar to Davis Street, consists of six ground-floor arches, four of which were enlarged for modern transportation needs. Still discernible are the early railroad tracks leading into the southern loading areas. To their right is a loading entrance, again located within one of the blind arcade arches. The remaining floors are nine bays wide. Each floor contains nine windows of 12/12 lights---six windows in the older building, and three in the 1912 addition, as on the Davis Street façade. The 1912 southern addition is defined by its steel beam construction and the three windows with single-hung sash of 9/9 lights above the track area on its southern façade. The remaining floors have three symmetrical windows with double-hung sash of 9/9 lights. Significance: The availability of transportation facilities, including canals and railways, played an important part in the commercial development of this block. The Terminal Warehouse built in 1894 illustrates the area’s industrial archeological significance. The extension of the Northern Central Railway’s Guilford Avenue line correlates property development and transportation as is illustrated by the Terminal Warehouse. Railway lines leading into its 316 Guilford Street side, as well as high interior spaces and wood beam construction, suggest its original function as a warehouse. The Terminal Warehouse remains one of the oldest warehouses in continuous use by the same corporation. It also presently houses the Baltimore City Archives and the Baltimore City Department of Planning. The structure is also significant for its architecture. The "Flour Warehouse," as it was called from its inception, was designed by Benjamin B. Owens, a well known name in Baltimore architecture of the period and a member of the Baltimore Branch of American Institute of Architects. The contractor on the original building was S.H. and J.F. Adams, also well known for construction in this area; on the addition in 1912, the contractor was the Noel Construction Company.

 

Return to the National Register Search page