Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Catherine A. Masek, 01/1988
Inventory No.: M: 16-9
Other Name(s): Concord, White Place
Date Listed: 12/11/1978
Location: 24001 White's Ferry Road (MD 107), Dickerson, Montgomery County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1813
Description: Annington consists of three two-story sections: a main block three bays wide, a wing to the west two bays wide, and a wing to the east three bays wide. It is constructed of brick, Flemish bond on the main (south) facades and American bond elsewhere. The cornices are of brick laid in a sawtooth pattern and painted white. At each end of the main block and the outer ends of both wings is an interior chimney. The roof of the main block is accentuated by the parapets at the gable ends. There are three entrances to the building, a door in the west bay on both facades of the main block and a door in the west bay of the south facade of the east wing. There are windows in all other bays on both floors of the south and north facades. There are no openings in the ends of the sections except in the gables; on either side of each chimney in each gable is a quadrant window, making eight in all. (Windows once existed in the west end of the west wing, but they have been bricked in for some time.) About 50% of the early pressed glass remains in the 6/6 sash windows. The panes measure 11 3/4" x 15 3/4". All windows have gauged brick lintels painted white, and louvered shutters. The doorways into the main block have flat arch brick lintels. The doorway into the east wing is an unusual brick archway: in the restoration detached sidelights were placed on either side of this entrance, which had been partially bricked in; there is a rectangular transom above the door an flanking sidelights, and a small quadrant pane above each of the detached sidelights. A 1 1/2-story brick outbuilding located to the northwest of the main house is thought to have been a slave quarter. A brick barn also once stood to the west, but has been dismantled. Significance: The significance of Annington lies in its style, location, and association with men of national and local repute. Annington was built during the wheat boom and resulting prosperity that the western counties of Maryland and nearby Virginia experienced with the opening of the Potomac Canal, and later the C & O Canal. It is a house characteristic of "Hangover Georgian," described by Henry Chandlee Forman as typical in the interior counties of Maryland in the late 18th century and early 19th century. The house is typically Georgian with Adamesque influence in the plaster decorations. The chimneys are typical of Maryland--wide on the side, thin and high above the ridge, rising on the gable ends of the house flush with the building wall. Annington retains most of its original features and is a fine example of the architecture of the early 19th century in Maryland. The house was built for Daniel Trundle, Maryland planter, about 1813. Born during the Revolutionary War, he served his young country on Levy Courts, County Commissions, and in the State Legislature for ten years. The site is a commanding one, overlooking the Potomac River, the C & O Canal, and the Maryland and Virginia countryside. During the Civil War this was to be a strategic lookout point, and the house was occupied at all times by Union officers.


Return to the National Register Search page