Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Jack Boucher, Undated Photo
Chesterville Brick House
Inventory No.: K-182
Other Name(s): Salter House, Goodings
Date Listed: 7/17/1979
Location: Chesterville Galena Road (MD 290) , Chesterville, Kent County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1773; moved 1973
Description: The Salter House, originally located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Maryland Route 447 (Morgnec Road) and Maryland Route 290, is thought to have been built c. 1773. The 2 1/2-story brick building changed ownership many times. It was abandoned in 1970 and vandalized prior to being moved in 1973 by the current owner, Frank M. Huggins. At that time, the house was designated for demolition, having been declared a traffic hazard by the Maryland Department of Transportation, along with three other early buildings at the intersection. The Salter House is the only one of these that remains near the intersection; it is located approximately 250' from its original site. The building is an imposing structure, approximately 30' high to the ridge, laid in Flemish bond on the important north and east sides, which originally fronted the intersection, with glazed headers on the north gable. Flush chimneys stand at each gable. A simple cornice with crown molding projected approximately 12" at the second floor ceiling level. The fenestration of the house is irregular. The east facade is four bays long, with a door in the first and third bays from the north, and 8/12 sash windows in the other two bays on the first floor, four 8/12 sash windows on the second, and two 6/6 sash gable dormers on this side of the roof. There is one door in the south bay and no windows on the first floor of the west side, three 8/12 windows on the second floor, and two 6/6 dormers on the roof. On the south end there is one door on the west side on the first story and two windows on either side of the chimney in the gable. A 1 1/2-story wing was once attached to this gable end. It had two rooms on each floor and a central chimney of stone. On the north end a door in the east bay and an 8/12 sash window in the west on the first floor are the only openings. The first floor windows had paneled shutters and the second story windows and dormers had louvered shutters. Significance: The intersection of Maryland Routes 290 and 447 has a long history as a commercial center, beginning in the 18th century. Until 1973 three 18th century structures stood here, on the northeast, southwest, and northwest corners. They were the remains of what had grown into a small village during the 19th century. The Maryland Department of Transportation decided to demolish the buildings as they sat right on the intersection and were regarded as a traffic hazard blocking the driver's view. The Chesterville store (in 1860 G.W. Spry's store and in 1877 store and post office), a small brick structure, was moved to the Howard Johnson's tract on U.S. Route 301 in Kent County. The frame hotel (in 1860 Jos. Morris' hotel and in 1877 J. Curey's property) was moved to the Kent County Farm Museum site near Kennedyville. Only the Brick House or Salter House remains at the intersection, and it was moved 250 feet north of its original location. The Brick House was constructed in the 18th century, probably soon after 1773. Its floor plan reflects its use as a commercial building, with two rooms of very unequal size, the smaller one with a fireplace and the larger one with only a flue, probably for a stove, dating from the 19th century. The presence of two doors in each of the first floor rooms also suggests that this was a building in public use.


Return to the National Register Search page