Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Jennifer K. Cosham, 04/10/2004
Edgewood (DELISTED)
Inventory No.: F-3-38
Date Listed: 8/29/1979
Location: 7051 Poole Jones Road, Frederick, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: late 18th century; mid 19th century
Description: Facing east, Edgewood is a two-story, five-bay limestone dwelling showing narrow courses of native stone. A two-story, two-bay stone wing with a modern frame extension enclosing a former two-story porch is attached to the rear or west wall. The house is wide, with three windows at each story across its north end wall. A vertical seam in the masonry appears between the main house and the wing. Small areas of brick infill are to be seen at the return areas of the eaves at each corner of the main section. There are variations in the stonework over the surfaces of the house suggesting possible additions and early changes or perhaps that the entire house may have been stuccoed at one time. Openings are not places symmetrically in the front elevation. There is more space between the windows in the south half of the wall than those in the north half. All windows have narrow frames which hold 6/6 pane, double-hung sash and pairs of shutters with stationary louvers. Smaller 6/6 sash windows light the attic. The main entrance is located in the central bay of the east elevation. A wide double door, each half containing three panels, is hung beneath a broad, 8-light transom. Flanking the door is a pair of Doric-type colonnettes and 3-light sidelights. A one-story, 20th century porch with a hipped roof and Tuscan columns extends across the three central bays of the front wall. A secondary entrance is located in the north elevation of the wing. Sheltering it is a two-bay, modern, shed-roofed porch supported by square posts. A two-story porch along the south elevation of the wing has been enlarged and enclosed with siding to create additional living space. Standing seam sheet metal covers the roof, which terminates with barge boards set directly against the end walls. Large brick interior end chimneys, painted white, appear to have been rebuilt. Significance: The multi-part stone farmhouse shows evidence of both 18th and 19th century construction. Built of native limestone, it is an excellent example of northern Maryland's vernacular architecture and the evolution it experienced over the course of two centuries. Most observable parts of this house exhibit fine mid-19th century work influence by the Greek Revival style popular at that time. Elements of Greek Revival work are apparent in the main entrance with its broad transom, sidelights, and colonnettes following the Doric form. Interior woodwork is massive but formal; mantelpieces are decorated with Doric colonnettes and door architraves are trimmed with corner blocks. In contrast to the 19th century appearance of the house are the remnants of a much older building in the basement. The 18th century insulation system, consisting of flat boards set into the joists carrying a layer of mud mortar below the floorboards has been associated by some historians with Germanic building traditions. An 18th century arched doorway also remains in the basement. Further research is needed to determine the precise history of this house, but it would appear that an 18th century house was substantially rebuilt during the middle third of the 19th century. The house is also significant for its association with the Schley family, prominent 19th century residents of Frederick County, who held the farm from 1830 until 1911.


Return to the National Register Search page