Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Ed Masek, 06/1980
Timber Neck
Inventory No.: CH-297
Other Name(s): Cranes Low Ground, Laurel Grove
Date Listed: 9/6/1979
Location: 10030 Timberneck Place, , Faulkner, , Charles County
Category: Building,Site
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1780
Description: Timber Neck Farm, formerly known as Laurel Grove, is a 2 1/2-story, L-shaped frame structure with a large double chimney with two-story pent on the north end. The front elevation, facing directly east, is three bays wide with the entrance door occupying the first bay from the south end. On the front slope of the gable roof are two pedimented dormers. The first floor windows, equal in their dimensions to those of the door, frame 9/9 sash. The second floor windows and the two dormers have 6/6 sash. Although there are presently no shutters at the windows, there are indications that they were once used. Extending across the three first floor bays is a one-story, shed-roofed porch supported by brick piers and with plain square posts. The porch appears to date c. 1900-1925. The rear elevation originally repeated the fenestration and door placement of the front, but a later wing conceals the first and second floor bays closest to the north end. The windows, door, and dormers of the rear elevation are of the same dimensions, sash, and plan as the front. The south end of the house has a single door on the first floor level, two windows at the second floor level, and one window in the gable. All windows are of 6/6 sash. The first floor door presumably once led to a detached or semi-detached kitchen. The north end is dominated by a wide double chimney containing a two-story, shed-roofed pent. The chimney rises as a solid wall to the second floor ceiling level, where it then separates into two freestanding stacks, each with a single brick tiled weathering and a corbeled cap. Centered in the chimney wall, on both floor levels, is a single four-pane window to light the interior closets. The first floor window, however, was bricked in at a later date. One of the most interesting features of the chimney is a broad arched cellar entrance in the base. There are three windows in this elevation. One, of 6/6 sash, is at the gable level. Flanking the chimney at the second floor level are two narrow windows of 4/4 panes. A 20th century first floor door occupies a location between the chimney and the northwest corner of the house, leading to a porch which extends across all three sides of the rear wing. The clapboarding of the house was replaced at various times in the 19th century, and was completely covered with composition shingles in the 20th century. The eave cornice, dating from the early 19th century when the roof was replaced, is boxed and has standard ogee crown and bed moldings. Significance: Although considered to be basically Federal in plan, Timber Neck is actually a transitional house, one that represents a final phase in the development of Charles County architecture. The house was built during a period when post-Georgian architectural styles, developed and popularized outside the region, began to influence and gradually succeed regionally traditional building styles and methods of construction. Despite the fact that the late 18th century witnessed a substantial increase in building activity within Charles County, Timber Neck, with its remaining characteristically 18th century woodwork, is the best recorded example reflecting these changes in local architectural practices. It is of additional significance as one of only nine 18th century houses surviving in Charles County that were initially designed and built as full two-story buildings.


Return to the National Register Search page