Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Peter E. Kurtze, 10/20/2003
St. Michael's Church
Inventory No.: BA-2561
Other Name(s): Hannah More Chapel
Date Listed: 10/22/1979
Location: 12025 Reisterstown Road (MD 140), Reisterstown, Baltimore County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1853-54
Architect/Builder: John Weller Priest
Description: St. Michael’s Church is a small, Gothic Revival-style, board-and-batten frame structure. It consists of a nave of three bays, chancel, sacristy on the north, and a porch on the south. The west end presents two lancets and a vescia window, and is surmounted by a simple bell-gable, which, however, is rather of a stone than a timber outline. The side walls of the nave are pierced by lancets and couplets, alternated: the chancel has two lancets on the south side, and a window on the east side of three lights with plain intersecting tracery. The side walls of the nave and chancel are 13 feet high, the porch and sacristy 7 feet. The sacristy roof is a lean-to, coming just under the chancel eaves. The nave, chancel, and porch gables are at an angle of 60 degrees, and are each surmounted by a cross of wood of varying patterns. The roofs project at the gables and have simple vergeboards. Significance: St. Michael’s Church, though deconsecrated on May 12, 1978, remains intact and an excellent and important example of mid-19th century Gothic Revival church architecture. Its design is characteristic of those found in Richard Upjohn’s Rural Architecture (1852). The church, designed by John Weller Priest (1825-1859), is architecturally outstanding. Mr. Priest’s offices were in New York City, and he was one of the 13 who met with Richard Upjohn in 1857 to organize the American Institute of Architects. He died at an early age in Newburgh where he had moved apparently hoping to arrest a case of tuberculosis.

 

Return to the National Register Search page