Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Mark R. Edwards, 11/1977
Inventory No.: HA-693, HA-694, HA-695, HA-696
Date Listed: 11/1/1979
Location: 400 Singer Road , Singer Road , Abingdon, Harford County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1823
Architect/Builder: Builder: Joshua Wilson
Description: The main section of the house known as Woodside, designed in 1823, is an excellent example of a Federal side hall, double parlor plan house. This section is 2 1/2 stories tall, three bays wide, and two deep. The house is constructed of coursed fieldstone except the south front which is coursed ashlar. On the front (south) façade, the paneled front door with transom marks the western bay. Two windows with original paneled blinds light the southeast parlor. Upstairs, windows are aligned, also have 6/6 double-hung sash, but have louvered shutters. This fenestration is identical on the rear (north) façade. A massive interior brick chimney is located at the peak at the roof's east end. A simpler, smaller brick chimney with corbeled cap is located at the end of the roof. The 1 1/2-story fieldstone kitchen, also dating from 1823, is connected to the main block at the northeast end. On its north façade, a centrally located door leads into the workspace. Original 6/6 double-hung sash windows with paneled blinds flank the door. A later dormer window pierces the roof at the eave line over the door. A brick interior chimney is centrally located in the northern slope of the slate-covered roof. A beehive oven which once served the kitchen fireplace is now gone. Its approximate foundation dimensions are outlined by low fieldstone garden walls. One of the most aesthetically pleasing decorative details of the house is the use of stone. The stonework was laid very carefully--the fieldstone coursed as much as possible and the main façade laid in coursed ashlar of the same stone. On both the main block and kitchen, beautifully dressed stone blocks form lintels over each window. The lintel over the basement door bears the initials "IW", probably for the builder, Joshua Wilson. The name "Llee" is carved into the second step of the north entrance, and is believed to refer to Lycurgus Lee, a 19th century family member. In the second quarter of the 19th century, a frame, weatherboard sheathed structure was built at the southeast corner of the house. This addition, stretching three bays across the front (south) façade, was built to accommodate a growing Wilson household. The addition had 6/6 double hung sash windows, original paneled blinds on the first story (with louvered shutters on the second),and a gable roof. It was built over the stone kitchen wing, incorporating the slope of its gable roof. A number of outbuildings stand on the property, including a stone house with overhanging gable roof, a hand pump, a shed-roofed frame storage building, an 1848 log barn, a 1928 frame corn crib, and three early 20th century garages. Significance: Woodside is one of the finest examples of the Federal style hall and double parlor house plan in Harford County. The house displays many fine architectural details, including a sensitive use of stone and a high caliber of carved woodwork as shown in the many fine mantels, the beautifully carved staircase, and other woodwork throughout the house. Another striking detail is the marbleized baseboard in the first floor hallway, a design feature once used in all the major rooms in the main block of the house. Woodside is also of interest as a property which has never left the ownership of the Wilson family who built it.


Return to the National Register Search page