Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: M. Larew, 04/1979
Graham-Crocker House
Inventory No.: HA-213
Other Name(s): Henry Foy House, Jeffery House
Date Listed: 3/17/1980
Location: 30 N. Main Street (MD 924) , Bel Air, Harford County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1825
Architect/Builder: Builder: Henry Foy
Description: The Graham-Crocker House is a 2 1/2-story frame dwelling with a shed addition to the south and an ell to the west. The siding is shiplap on the front (east) elevation and on the shed. All other elevations have clapboard siding. The gable roof is covered with asphalt shingle, with the shed is covered with a tin imitation of shakes. A large chimney straddles the gable ridge inside the south elevation. The front fa├žade shows a raised plastered stone foundation with a flight of six wooden steps rising parallel to the foundation. The stairs and landing have wrought-iron balusters and rail. The three-bay main section has double-hung 6/6 windows with louvered shutters. The plain entry is in the north bay on the first floor. As the entry indicates, the main portion is built on a side hall plan, two rooms of equal size up and down. The stair is enclosed today to provide entry to the second floor apartment. It may have been constructed c. 1930, judging by the rail and balusters. A small bathroom and another bedroom up and down have been added to the house in an ell to the west. A bay containing two 6/6 windows projects from the south elevation of the ell, and the bedroom has a separate entrance with a shed roof over it. There are no windows in the north side of the house, which butts against the next building. There is no record of when the shed was built to the south side of the house. The interior woodwork is plain, and the windows in the south elevation of the shed are casements, but the east and west windows have double-hung 6/6 sash. The rooms in the shed were one room (the kitchen) until the World War II era. The shed could have been an early kitchen. A late 19th century photo shows the shed with side windows matching the front one and an entrance between the two windows. The same photo shows the house with a small front yard and a flight of stairs perpendicular to the front elevation. These were removed when Main Street was widened. Significance: The Graham-Crocker House is the third oldest house in Bel Air (after the Van Bibber and Hays Houses). It is the only remaining example of early 19th century domestic architecture in the downtown area to retain its residential use. The town of Bel Air, Harford's county seat founded in the late 18th century, has since World War II destroyed many of its historic buildings in the downtown area. This particular house is a typical example of early 19th century residential architecture in form--a two-story, three-bay structure with side hall and double parlor plan. Although it has experienced interior alteration, it is a very important building in Bel Air, where so much has already disappeared.


Return to the National Register Search page