Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: MHT File Photo, Undated Photo
Tivoli
Inventory No.: B-3601
Other Name(s): Marble Hall
Date Listed: 10/9/1980
Location: 1301 Woodbourne Avenue, Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1855
Description: Located at 1301 Woodbourne Avenue, Tivoli stands on the south side of Woodbourne between the Alameda and Loch Raven Boulevard in northeastern Baltimore City. The house, which sits back several feet from the street in a tree-studded, gentle rolling setting, contains the administrative and clinical offices, the infirmary, and dining hall of the Woodbourne Center. The house is approached from Woodbourne Avenue by a long paved driveway that leads to the circular drive at the northern, front, façade. Constructed of random stone ashlar masonry, Tivoli consists of a three-story, symmetrical Italianate main block, with a contemporary two-story, T-shaped service wing appended to the eastern elevation. The main block is square in plan with a pair of two-story rectangular bays projecting from the western elevation. It is covered by a low, slate-shingled hipped roof, crowned with a widow’s walk from which the balustrade has been removed. A wide flight of sandstone steps with modern iron rails leads to the main entrance, which was originally protected by a three bay wide roof of unknown configuration. The original one-story gallery remains spanning the rear (southern) façade, giving covered exterior access to the service wing at the side. Its second floor balustrade has been removed and replaced with an iron pipe rail. The rectangular front entranceway retains its original sidelights and 8-light transom. The original double doors have been removed and replaced with a secondary transom and double wooden doors of recent date. The principal windows of the front façade are rectangular and contain double-hung wooden sash with 2/2 lights. All are fitted with dressed stone sills, wooden entablatures, and louvered shutters. Third floor windows are square, are filled with casements, and have wooden surrounds. The central third floor window, set in the shallow pediment of the masonry front wall, has 6-light casements and a semicircular fixed transom. Significance: Tivoli is an excellent example of mid-19th century rural domestic architecture of the Italianate influence. Although the size and construction of Tivoli indicate that it was erected for someone of affluence, the house lacks the proportioned scale and decorative detailing that are common to Maryland’s country architecture of the mid to late 1800s. The house is significant in local history as the home of two of Baltimore’s important capitalists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries: Enoch Pratt, who purchased the property in 1870 and is best known today as the major benefactor of the Enoch Pratt Library in Baltimore, and Charles S. Abell, one of the owners of the Baltimore Sun Papers and whose wife gave the property to Woodbourne in 1925. Pratt used Tivoli as a summer residence and died here in 1896. As the main administration building at Woodbourne Center, a residential treatment center for emotionally disturbed adolescents, Tivoli is also an excellent example of preservation of an historically and architecturally significant building through adaptive reuse.

 

Return to the National Register Search page