Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Jennifer K. Cosham, 04/26/2006
Buckingham House and Industrial School Complex
Inventory No.: F-1-27
Date Listed: 5/20/1982
Location: 3035 Buckeystown Pike (MD 85) , Adamstown, Frederick County
Category: Building,Site
Period/Date of Construction: late 18th century; late 19th century
Description: The Buckingham House and Industrial School Complex is a group of 13 buildings and 8 sites that possess integrity of design and location. The buildings which generally range in dates of construction from about the late 18th century to the early 20th century are primarily structures erected for use during the trade school period from the 1870s to the 1950s. Architecturally these range from a large 2 1/2-story stuccoed stone house with somewhat sophisticated Federal trim for this section of the county to a Colonial Revival chapel built about 1910. The significance is further enhanced by a series of irrigation pipes laid in the fields as part of the trade school program. Significance: The Buckingham House and Industrial School is significant for its contribution to the vocational education history and development of Frederick County and the State of Maryland from the 1870s to 1944 when it operated as the only vocational school for boys in Frederick County, training students to apprentice in a trade or continue their education in a business school, and thus making a significant contribution to the broad patterns of Frederick County and Maryland educational history. Buckingham House is architecturally significant as it embodies the distinctive characteristics of a mid to late-18th century rural Frederick County residential structure with mixed English/German traditions displaying exceptionally fine original interior architectural detailing in the form of shouldered architrave closet, door, and window moldings, and an unusual mantelpiece decorated with herringbone pattern and star shaped motifs. The Buckingham House and Industrial School Complex is archeologically significant because it has yielded seven sites of several prehistoric occupations from as early as 4000 B.C. through 1900 and is likely to yield further undisturbed features below the plowzone. The late Woodland village site is one of few such sites known in the Monocacy Valley.

 

Return to the National Register Search page