Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Ellen Coxe, 02/1980
Wye Town Farm House
Inventory No.: T-89
Date Listed: 12/16/1982
Location: Bruffs Island Road , Meeting House Corner, Talbot County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1800
Description: The house at Wye Town Farm, overlooking Woodland Creek, is of brick construction, 1 1/2 stories high and two rooms deep with a small one-story brick kitchen on the east gable. A two-story addition was made to the west gable in the 20th century. The original brick house is now three bays wide on each facade, but has had several windows added to allow more light to the first floor rooms. The south or water facade is laid in three-course American bond with no watertable. There is an original door opening in the center bay, flanked by a single 20th century 6/6 window on each side. A single 6/6 gable-roofed dormer is centered on the second floor. The eave is enclosed with a rebuilt box cornice. The bed mold of the cornice and the door frame and architrave appear to be early. The west gable is completely covered by the modern addition, but it seems likely that the doors which now lead to the first floor of the addition were originally windows. The east gable is partially covered by the small kitchen wing. The brickwork on this side is also laid in three course bond. A flush brick chimney is centered on the gable, serving two corner fireplaces on the first floor. Two small 6/6 windows flank the chimney in the upper gable. The gable eaves are finished with beaded and tapered rakeboards. On the north or land facade, there is a center door flanked by 6/6 windows. The west window was added in the 20th century. There is a single 6/6 gable-roofed dormer on the second floor. The brickwork and cornice match the water facade. A small frame outbuilding to the south of the house, probably originally served as a dairy. To the northwest of the house there is a 20th century barn and associated modern small farm buildings. Significance: The significance of the house on Wye Town Farm is derived from the original section of the house which dates from about 1800. This section has a relatively unusual example of a house form found only rarely on the Eastern Shore consisting of a two room plan with the rooms arranged back-to-back. A shared chimney on the east gable served corner fireplaces in each room. This plan has been found in five buildings in nearby Queen Anne's County, and can also be observed in a series of small "mariners' cottages" in the nearby community of St. Michaels. The relatively plain exterior appearance of this particular building belies an interior that retains much of the original detailing, including a handsome Federal mantel, molded two piece chairrail, baseboard, and architrave trim.


Return to the National Register Search page