Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Mark R. Edwards, 07/1981
Stanton's Mill
Inventory No.: G-II-C-013, G-II-C-016
Date Listed: 1/17/1983
Location: Old National Pike (Old US 40) , Grantsville, Garrett County
Category: Building,Structure
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1859, c. 1900
Description: The Stanton's Mill Complex consists of five interrelated buildings and structures. The Stanton's Mill building was built c. 1859 on the coursed sandstone foundation of a late-18th century mill; it is of heavy timber frame construction, and as originally constructed stood two stories tall, five bays wide on the south (main) facade, three bays deep, with a gable roof. In 1900, a two-bay, two-story, light timber frame addition was constructed, expanding the building to the west. The building is two bays wide, with two windows per floor on the east gable end and a single window in each attic gable. A single interior chimney pierces the south roof slope at the east end, and a louvered shed-roofed cupola adorns the top of the older section of the building. The building is sheathed in German siding, with plain trim at the 6/6 sash windows and corners. Two 1913 photographs of the mill show a one-bay shed-roofed partially enclosed porch sheltering the entrance bay. This has since been replaced by a shed-roofed porch which spans all but the westernmost bay of the south facade. The north facade contains three openings in the original stone basement level, fully exposed on this side, consisting of a door in the west bay and 6/6 windows in the center and east. The two floors above hold two 6/6 sash windows each. The 1900 addition rests on a concrete block foundation, with a central entrance flanked by four-pane windows. Above the foundation, the addition is pierced by two 4/4 sash windows per floor. The interior of the mill retains a full complement of grist milling equipment, some of which is original to the c. 1859 construction, the rest reflecting continuing adaptation and modernization of milling technology up to the present. Approximately 40 yards south of the mill is a small stone arch bridge, built in 1817 as part of the National Road; the bridge, 30' long and 36'-7" wide, originally carried the road over the mill race. A stone-faced timber crib dam is located approximately 800' southeast of the mill; now in ruinous condition, the dam originally tapped the Casselman River to provide power for the mill. The ruins of a standstone block foundation to the original storehouse can be seen approximately 30 yards southeast of the mill; this building was replaced c. 1900 by the frame storage building which stands near the foundation ruins. This building is four bays wide on its first floor and three on the second. Facing north, the eastern bay consists of a large doorwary for vehicles. The other three bays consist of a central entrance flanked by 6/6 sash windows. These three bays are covered by a shed-roofed hood. The three windows on the second floor and those on the two bay-gable ends also hold 6/6 sash. There are no openings on the south facade. Significance: The Stanton's Mill Complex is highly significant as an industrial landmark in western Maryland, and is the oldest continuously operating grist mill in Garrett County. The mill, extensively rebuilt in 1859 on the foundations of a late 18th century mill, is associated with many of the 18th and 19th century settlers of the Grantsville area of Garrett County. Throughout its existence, the mill provided wheat and buckwheat flour, animal feeds, and sawn lumber for the Grantsville community. The mill has been modernized with the addition of a c. 1900 storage building and newer grinding and mixing equipment in the late 19th and 20th centuries, and thus contains an excellent collection of milling equipment spanning a period of approximately 120 years. The complex is also important for its inclusion of a stone-faced mid-19th century timber crib dam and raceway, natural earthen tailrace, and a small, single-span stone arch bridge, dating to 1817, constructed as part of the National Road.


Return to the National Register Search page