Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Christopher Weeks, Undated Photo
Glen Oak Hotel
Inventory No.: D-609
Date Listed: 9/8/1983
Location: 201 Academy Street (MD 331), Hurlock, Dorchester County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1890
Description: The Glen Oak Hotel is a three-story frame building constructed c. 1890. The building stands three bays wide, facing south towards the intersections of Main, Broad, and Academy Streets in the center of Hurlock. A two-story porch spans the south facade. Supported by Tuscan columns on the second floor and Tuscan columns on brick piers on the first, the porch is shown in c. 1900 photos with a wooden balustrade, rather than its current wrought iron one. The building retains its original wood sheathing. The shallow hip roof of the building is covered in standing-seam metal, and there are two interior chimneys. The first floor has a central entrance with a transom. Windows throughout have plain surrounds and simple molded cornices. Those on the south facade are 1/1 sash on the first floor and 2/2 above. The second floor, also with a central entrance, has four windows, with two close to the door and two at the outer edges of the facade. The third story, above the porch roof, has three windows. The main section is three bays deep, with 2/1 sash windows on the first floor and 2/2 above. In early-20th century photos, all but the first floor south windows had louvered shutters. These were removed, but have now been replaced, including the first floor south windows. Two two-story sections, one four bays long and the other two bays long, extend to the rear in "telescope" fashion. The first section, which runs flush with the east facade of the main block, is slightly recessed on the west side. The first floor of this facade was covered by a porch with turned posts and brackets in the early 20th century. This has been removed, and the southern two bays of this section have now been covered by a small shed-roofed addition with a triple window. On the east facade of this portion, the second floor holds four windows, but the first has a central entrance sheltered by a bracketed hood, and two windows. The interior retains its original plan, consisting of a central hall on each story, with public lobby and dining room, owner's quarters, and 20 guest rooms. Trim consists primarily of symmetrical molding with bullseye corner blocks. Original two-panel doors also remain, as does a small fireplace in the front room. Significance: The Glen Oak Hotel is significant for its association with the early development of Hurlock, a market town on the rural Eastern Shore of Maryland. The initial impetus for the town's creation was the establishment of a line and station of the Dorchester and Delaware Railroad in the area in 1867; Hurlock grew in size and commercial importance after the Baltimore, Chesapeake and Atlantic Railroad crossed the D & D there in 1890. The Glen Oak Hotel was one of the first buildings constructed in the town, and functioned as a commercial and social center, serving salesmen who traveled by rail. In addition to overnight accommodations, the hotel provided a livery stable, enabling travelers who came to town by rail to make calls in the surrounding countryside.


Return to the National Register Search page