Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Orlando Ridout V, 1978
Stevensville Bank
Inventory No.: QA-264
Date Listed: 1/3/1985
Location: Love Point Road (MD 18), Stevensville, Queen Annes County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1903
Description: The old Stevensville Bank is located on the west side of Love Point Road near the center of Stevensville, on Kent Island. The building faces the street, with the plain rectangular shed roof structure disguised by an elaborate false front on the east (street) facade. This front is carefully ordered and is decorated with an interesting and eclectic collection of architectural details. The street facade is divided into three bays by four pilasters. In the center bay to either side of the door are single 1/1 windows with molded surrounds and pedimented hoods supported by scrolled brackets. A second story is suggested by a large triple window above the door and smaller four-light windows with crossetted surrounds in the flanking bays. The cornice consists of a broad band of stucco serving as a fascia, with a modest molding below, and an ornate architrave above. One further decorative element on the street facade is a large projecting hood over the entrance door. The interior is divided into a public banking room in the front and an office in the rear. The vault is located in the center at the rear of the front room, and is surrounded by a U-shaped counter with tellers' windows. The walls of this room are decorated with narrow headed wainscot paneling below a plain chairrail. The original ornamental pressed-tin ceiling has survived intact. Significance: The Stevensville Bank is significant for its architecture, and for its role in the commerce of Kent Island and Queen Anne's County. Constructed c. 1903, the Stevensville Bank is the oldest bank building on Kent Island and is among the earliest surviving in the county. The unknown designer combined a variety of classic architectural details into an ordered composition that brings to mind the more formal Beaux Arts bank designs of its period. Although no longer serving as a bank, the building has been carefully maintained and has recently been sensitively restored for use as a law office. The original interior is virtually untouched, with the new office located in the rear, leaving the tellers' counter and vault intact.


Return to the National Register Search page