Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Peter E. Kurtze, 02/1984
Lorraine Park Cemetery Gate House
Inventory No.: BA-2225
Other Name(s): Lodge
Date Listed: 7/25/1985
Location: 5608 Dogwood Road, Gwynn Oak, Baltimore County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 1884
Architect/Builder: Architect: Henry Brauns
Description: The Lorraine Park Cemetery Gatehouse is a Queen Anne style stone and frame building designed by Baltimore architect Henry Brauns and constructed in 1884 near Woodlawn in Baltimore County, Maryland. The house faces south, and is irregular in plan and massing: roughly L-shaped, it stands 1 ½ stories above a raised basement. The lower levels of the house are constructed of roughly squared granite block. The upper levels are frame, with a variety of decorative treatments including fishscale shingles, expressed framing, curved brackets, and molded and sawn details. The main block is covered by a slate-clad hipped roof, whose ridge runs east-west. The eastern half of the façade is dominated by a two-story, gable-roofed projection. On the western half of the façade, an extension of the roof slope forms a porch over the entrance. A three-story tower rises from the intersection of the main block and the projecting gable. The third level is an open belfry, with chamfered square posts and curved brackets supporting its bell-cast roof. A one-bay-wide, one-story wing extends from the west side of the main block. The interior of the Gatehouse is quite plain. The most salient decorative elements are the marbleized slate mantel in the front room, and the stair which features a heavy turned newel, turned balusters, and scrolled step ends. Adjacent to the house on the southwest are the ornate cast and wrought iron Lorraine Cemetery gates. Southeast of the house stands a small singled outbuilding used as a garage. Both of these resources are contemporaneous with the Gatehouse and contribute to the significance of the site. Significance: The Lorraine Park Cemetery Gatehouse is significant for its architecture. Designed by Baltimore architect Henry Brauns, the building embodies the picturesque eclecticism characteristic of the late 19th century suburban architecture, combining a variety of materials, forms, and details. Its combination of stone and frame construction, irregular massing, multiple gable forms, and elaborate Stick-style detailing make it one of the most expressive Queen Anne buildings in Baltimore County. The architectural significance of the Gatehouse is enhanced by its excellent state of preservation; the building has been carefully maintained and remains essentially unaltered.


Return to the National Register Search page