Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Breck Chapman, 02/2004
Dickeyville Historic District
Inventory No.: B-3710
Date Listed: 7/12/1972
Location: Baltimore, Baltimore City
Category: District
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1790-1909
Boundary Description: East of Baltimore City line, North & South of Gwynns Falls, East & West sides of Forest Park Avenue
Description: Dickeyville is a rare example of a complete 19th century mill town, including residential buildings, public buildings, and mill structures, which have survived unchanged to the present time. Structures easily discernable as representative of the four major building periods reflect the economic growth of the area. The original row of six stone worker’s houses built c. 1790 still stands, with their asymmetrically placed windows with small glass panes. The period of the Franklin Paper Mill (c. 1811) is represented by a stone and cement house at 5122 Wetheredsville Road, which has symmetrically placed windows and generally larger proportions. During the period of ownership by the Wethered family (1829-1871), more pretentious worker’s dwellings appeared, built of stone and painted white. Public buildings, such as an 1832 stone schoolhouse, and 1840s church, and an 1853 I.O.O.F. Hall survive from this era. (The school and church are now used as residences.) From 1871 to 1909, under the auspices of the W.J. Dickey Company, a number of stone and frame structures were built, mostly in the Victorian style. Examples include the 1872 mill warehouse of dark gray rubble stone and brick trim, the stone row at 2407-2411 Pickwick Road (c. 1874), and the 1872 building which was used as the mill office and jail. The cornerstone of the Dickey Memorial Presbyterian Church on Wetheredsville Road was laid in 1885 and the structure was financed by the Dickey family. The schoolhouse was expanded by frame additions to create a high school and primary school. In 1890 a clapboard building with hipped roof was erected which served successively as Mechanics’ Hall, the parish house of the Presbyterian Church, and finally a private residence. The mill, as it exists today, is the structure built by the Dickey Company in 1873 to replace an earlier mill which had burned. It is constructed of stone with brick trim, painted white overall, and is now used as a warehouse. Significance: The town of Dickeyville is a unique survival of four periods of growth from the late 18th century through the Victorian era. It is also Baltimore’s earliest example of a community restoration project.

District Resources

Resources not specifically itemized in a list within NR nomination form.


Return to the National Register Search page