Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: J. Brough Schamp, 03/1985
Drummine Farm
Inventory No.: F-5-62
Date Listed: 1/8/1987
Location: 6901 Green Valley Road (MD 75), New Market, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: c. 1772-1779
Description: Drummine Farm consists of a c. 1790 gable-roofed main house is constructed of uncoursed fieldstone, which stands 2 1/2 stories high, 5 bays wide by one room deep, with a one-bay kitchen wing extending to the east. The south facade is symmetrical, with a central entrance with three-light transom flanked by 9/9 sash windows on the first floor. The first floor is spanned by a porch, with a shallow hip roof, supported by chamfered square columns. Windows on the second floor have 6/9 sash. All front-facade windows have louvered shutters. Sheet metal on the roof replaces original wooden shingles. A complex modillioned and dentiled cornice is found at eave level. The roof is pierced by an internal chimney in each gable end, and three gable-roofed 2/2 sash dormer windows on the south facade and two on the north. Another interior chimney rises from the east end of the kitchen wing. This unusual wing is shed-roofed, and is two stories high on the south facade but slopes to a single story on the rear, where it is further extended by a frame shed-roofed addition. A single dormer also pierces this roof slope. The rear facade of the main block is three bays wide, with a 6/9 sash window in each bay on the second floor, the center window being lower than the outer two. The first floor of this north facade is covered by a 20th-century screened porch and late-19th century one-bay frame addition. Together these cover all but the eastern bay, which holds a 9/9 sash window. Two small rectangular windows are located in the gables of the east and west elevations. The interior, consisting of a wide center hall in the main block with a single large room to the west and the east, retains much Georgian influenced detailing. The house is sited within a rectangular front yard elevated from the surrounding terrain and enclosed by a five-foot retaining wall. Other buildings on the property include a stone tenant house dated 1816 directly to the east of the main house, and four additional fieldstone buildings from the early 19th century: a smokehouse, a water storage house, a garden outhouse, and a large bank barn. There are also numerous wooden farm buildings to the east of the main house, including a calf shed and a wagon shed with corn cribs from the late 19th century, a dairy barn with 3 cement stave silos from the 1930s, several sheds and garages, and a large pole barn. Significance: The significance of the Drummine Farm is derived from the architectural character of the house and dependent buildings. Drummine Farm embodies the distinctive characteristics of rural domestic architecture of the last quarter of the 18th century as found in the central and western portions of Maryland and adjacent south-central Pennsylvania. These characteristics include fieldstone construction, rectangular gable-roofed form, central hall floor plan, and Georgian stylistic influences in exterior and interior decorative detailing. Drummine Farm is a particularly good example because it retains a high level of integrity. Of particular note are the large scale of the structure which is unusual in the region, the complex cornice with modillions and interweaving dentils, and the outstanding interior decorative detailing including the stair and the elaborate cabinets, paneling, mantels, and trim in the first floor rooms. Further significance comes from the highly unusual placement of the kitchen wing directly alongside the more formal main block, continuous with the front facade of the house. The house retains early landscape features; it is located on an elevated site with front and rear yards enclosed by stone retaining walls. Five early stone ancillary buildings are placed in close proximity to the main house. Through its design and features, the property provides valuable insights into the lifestyle of an upper middle class farming family in southern Frederick County in the late 18th century; 19th and early 20th century outbuildings reflect the evolution of the farm over time.

 

Return to the National Register Search page