Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties

Photo credit: Marina King, 02/1986
Inventory No.: PG:87B-21
Other Name(s): Michael Stone House, Turner House
Date Listed: 5/29/1987
Location: 16005 Dr. Bowen Road (MD 233) , Aquasco, Prince Georges County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: 18th century, 1844
Description: Sunnyside is a five bay wide two-story frame house with a center hall and north and south parlors, facing east on a brick foundation. The building dates to 1844, although structural evidence points to mid-19th century alterations to create its present appearance. It is likely that the house was originally three bays wide, composed of a side hall with north parlor. In the mid 19th century, it gained a balancing two-story addition to the south. The entrance, now in the central bay, is composed of a four-panel door with a simple three-light transom. Windows are 6/6 sash throughout, with louvered shutters. The first floor of the east facade is covered by a hip-roofed porch on chamfered columns. This porch is now screened. The front bays are asymmetrical, with the end bays slightly grouped, leaving the center bay set apart. A single exterior chimney stands at either gable end. The west facade, also five bays wide, is covered by additions on the first floor the southern two bays are covered by a one-story enclosed hallway connecting the main block to a 1 1/2-story kitchen to the south. Set perpendicular to the main block, the kitchen has an exterior chimney on the west gable end. This kitchen dates to the 18th century, and was standing on the property when it was purchased in 1844 by Sunnyside's builder. The interior of the house is largely original fabric, including vernacular mantels with Federal style influences, flooring, doors, and wall plaster. Doors and windows have late-19th century plain board surrounds with bulls-eye corner blocks. On the exterior, shutters and siding are historic. An old cedar shingle roof was replaced by a new one in 1982. Two outbuildings on the property, a meathouse and a corn crib, probably date to the construction of the main block. Significance: Sunnyside is significant for its architecture and for its association with its builder, Dr. Michael Jenifer Stone. The main block of the house is a fine example of a mid-19th century "I" house, and possesses a great deal of intact original fabric. The significance of the property is enhanced by the 18th century wing, in good repair and possessing its original hearth with iron fittings. A meathouse and corn crib close to the house are excellent examples of 19th century wood frame construction methods. The house and outbuildings are well preserved examples of vernacular southern Maryland architecture dating from the 18th through the mid 19th century. Stone (1804-1877), a physician in Aquasco, also served as the first Prince George's County Examiner. As examiner, he reported to the board of County School commissioners on the physical conditions of school buildings and the level of teaching in the classrooms. He filled this important position from 1868 until his death in 1877. Descendants of Michael J. Stone inhabited the property through 1980. Stone, prominent in the Aquasco community and in Prince George's County, was the nephew of Thomas Stone, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.


Return to the National Register Search page