Skip to Main Content

Maryland's National Register Properties



Photo credit: Charity V. Davidson, 11/1997
Loats Female Orphan Asylum of Frederick City
Inventory No.: F-3-45, FHD-615
Other Name(s): The Historical Society of Frederick County
Date Listed: 10/10/1972
Location: 24 E. Church Street , 24 E. Church Street, Frederick, Frederick County
Category: Building
Period/Date of Construction: after 1824
Description: The headquarters of the Historical Society of Frederick County is located at 24 East Church Street in Frederick. Facing north, this imposing Federal mansion is five bays long, three bays deep, and 2 1/2 stories high with a broad, sloping gable roof. The house stands on a high basement and is constructed of brick laid in Flemish bond. The central door is reached by a flight of marble steps with a wrought-iron railing of classical design The ten-panel double door with carved ovals is of noteworthy Federal design. There is a large, arched semi-elliptical fanlight with a marble lintel over it. The door has sidelight windows separated from it by freestanding Doric pillars. It is a handsomely proportioned doorway with a well-carved door. All the large windows have 6/6 sash with marble sills and lintels. The north roofline of the building has a brick cornice with molded brick dentils. The end walls of the building rise higher than the roofline forming a roof curtain, with squared, buttressed ends. There are twin chimneys connected by curtains enclosed in each end wall of the building. The north side of the roof has three 9/6 round-arched dormers with foliating muntins. They have flat-topped, stepped-in pediments. There is a small, well-proportioned addition on the east end of the house. It is one bay wide and three bays deep and has brick pilasters at each corner and a small, wooden, classical cornice along the lower edge of the roof. It served as an office for the original owner of the house, John Baltzell, M.D. (1774-1854). There is a lower 2 1/2-story wing to the south of the main section of the building. The stair hall of the house contains some decorative plasterwork. The paneling and staircase are woodwork representative of the period. The mantels are all marble representative of the period, although some of them are of a later period. There is a well-maintained garden to the south of the structure. Significance: The Historical Society of Frederick County has purchased and preserved one of the larger, more imposing Federal-style houses in Frederick. No longer a private residence, the Society maintains its headquarters in the building. The third owner of the house, John Loats, devised the house and the property on which it stands to the Loats Female Orphan Asylum of Frederick City, which he established in his will of 1879.

 

Return to the National Register Search page