The Maryland Historical Trust, working in partnership with The Archeological Society of Maryland, Inc.,
proudly presents the 32nd Annual Workshop in Archaeology.
When: Saturday, September 23rd, 2023 from 9 AM until 3:30 PM
Where: 100 Community Place, Crownsville, MD (and grounds)
Dr. Al Luckenbach excavating one of the many deep test units at the Pig Point Site
in Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Who/What: Our keynote speaker this year will be Dr. Al Luckenbach, retired Archaeologist
for Anne Arundel County and founder of the Lost Towns Project. Dr. Luckenbach's presentation will discuss
his research with Lost Towns at the prehistoric ceremonial site known as Pig Point. The discoveries at
Pig Point made national headlines, including the New York Times in 2013 ("A Maryland Hill's Prehistoric
Secret"). MHT Press hopes to publish Dr. Luckenbach's manuscript on the site in the near future.
Admission Fee (payable at the door): $7.00 General admission; $5.00 for ASM members
- Pig Point on the Patuxent: The Excavation of a Prehistoric Sacred Place, Al Luckenbach.
- ArchaeoKids: Educational Programs for the Next Generation, Julia Berg and Sarah Mason.
- Swinging into the Past: Metal Detecting Basics for Archaeology, Daniel Dean.
- Using StoryMaps to Tell Archaeological Stories, Gregory Brown.
- Basics of Section 106, Dixie Henry and Troy Nowak.
- A Practical Guide to Investigating Archaeological Oyster Shell, Matt Borden.
- Maryland's Digital Resources for Archaeological Research and Survey, Matthew McKnight.
- Tips and Tricks for Completing a Site Form, Zachary Singer.
- CAT SESSION – Historic Ceramic Identification Workshop, Parts I & II*, Patricia Samford.
» FULL PROGRAM/SCHEDULE